Sunday, January 22, 2012

Get PREPARED

Hi All, this weeks word from illustration friday was 'prepare.'
PREPARE: To put things or oneself in readiness; get ready: to prepare for war.  When i saw this definition from prepare i thought 'how could i incorporate make-up with prepare' and i immediately thought to prepare before make-up  as in 'the base' for the application of makeup.   Every canvas needs to be well prepared before the painter starts applying the paint same as every face should be cleansed, toned, moisturized..etc and primed before the application of make-up ... After initially knowing i wanted to use 'base' products as the  image i wanted to think of subject matter.  I then thought of "to prepare for your wedding day"  Every woman on her wedding day wants perfect skin, and that starts with the daily cleansing routine-the biggest part of keeping a 'flawless face.'


The piece i found inspiration from was from George Petty.

I decided i wanted to do an add for the make-up brand/store SEPHORA.

I looked at several sephora advertisements to keep them looking similar.

Step 1: i got a bunch of products from my bathroom (which all came from sephora ;)) and shot them on a white background.  I  found the pictures of the rings online and brought them into photoshop to brighten and sharpen.

Step 2: I made a black background thinking that this was initially what I wanted.

Step 3: I added my photo to the background and played with where i wanted it positioned and such.

I ended up doing a gradient of black at the top and yellow/white at the bottom to add more 'spunk' to a boring background.  Added the word of the week as it could be a new 'line' at the store and the 'designer' of the brand.  As well,  I added the "presented exclusively at SEPHORA" text that all the ads have.

I thought i was done, until i realized that the ads usually have a quirky little bit/description on the product itself so I should do the same. 
Since it was 'wedding' themed for women, i decided to add"Need that flawless face for the day it counts? Get PREPARED."

Thanks for checking out my blog, next weeks word is twirl.
Thanks again
Veronica Komar

2 comments:

  1. Very nice step-by-step, Veronica! Your final design is quite nice as well. I'm not sure how appropriate this is for "Illustration" Friday, but if this is the kind of thing you want to include in your portfolio, I want to support that. But in the future please try to find a more illustrative approach to these assignments :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-You!! I realized after that I should've illustrated it perhaps :)

    ReplyDelete