Monday, January 16, 2012

Illustration Friday 'Grounded'

Hello All, I've recently started to follow the blog 'Illustration Friday' and got very inspired to join in on the  fun.  The word this week was Grounded.   When i thought about the word grounded I immediately thought of the literal sense of being grounded for being in trouble.  After a while i thought about it some more and kept thinking about the earthy meaning in grounded, that it not only means when your in trouble but on the ground.  I found the photo above and it inspired me to draw my own 'forest scene' with earthy natural colours.
To differentiate any other drawing or painting from mine, I chose to use a different form of media... Make-up!  I really love makeup and love creating with it everyday on my eyes/face/lips, etc. that i thought it would be a great idea to involve it into these illustrations.

First i grabbed some paper -printer paper was all i had at the time, but a rougher, jagged piece of paper would of held everything better.
I then penciled in the outlines of where I wanted to place everything like the trees, the path and what not.
I put down makeup primer to help everything stick and become brighter and more vibrant.
I then added brown primer to the ground to help the brown eyeshadows stick and brown gel liner to the trees to make them darker and stick out more from the ground.  I lightly dusted on brown eyeshadow on to the path and coninued to add green eyeshadows to the trees (leaves) and the ground.  I blended out the green to look more smooth and fill up the page.

I added a brown eyeshadow (loose) pigment that had golden sparkles to the path to add texture - to look dirt-like.  I sprinkled on some dark green loose eyeshadow all over the 'ground' to add more texture and not make it look so flat and 2D - plus grass isn't all one colour and there are other plants in a forest.

To add a bit more texture to the tree i outlined them roughly in a dark brown eyeliner pencil and added some lines on the first upclose tree.

Overall, i like how it turned out and how it looks like it could be a painting.. It was quite messy but worth the work.  I'm excited for the next challenge!

Stay tuned for next weeks Illustration Friday challenge - it's the word 'Prepare.'

Cheers
Veronica K

1 comment:

  1. What a wild idea, Veronica! Very creative - great work! :^)

    ReplyDelete