Monday, March 5, 2012

Popularity -Illustration Friday

Hi all,
I'm a little late on posting this image for Illustration Friday, but it was a little difficult for me to think of something for a make-up ad for the word 'Popularity.'  As I kept thinking about it, I kept thinking about how even now, Marilyn Monroe is a popular icon.
Every time a girl 'perfects' a red lip and cat eyes, they call it a 'pin-up' look or the 'Marilyn Monroe' signature look...
She was popular back in the day, and still is today and she was my 'inspirational icon' for this image.
As i was looking around for vintage make-up advertisements, I saw this advertisement from 1958 which had also inspired me to do a 'vintage' girl on my ad.

Step 1:  I drew this illustration in Illustrator and wanted to keep it fairly simple, with little bits of detail where needed.  Kind of like the inspirational ad I had chosen.

Next I added the 'SEPHORA' logo (for those of you that do not know, SEPHORA is a make-up store and even own their own brand of make-up) across her body as it was 'negative' space and why I kept the body plain, as I wanted some contrast to be added there later.

I like how make-up ads have 'quirky' little sayings sometimes, or a small description to get you excited about what's coming out so I decided to add my own that red "From the lips of Marilyn Monroe to yours! Find your perfect RED"  as this would be a 'red lipstick collection.'

My last add-on was to put 'now for a limited time only at..."  right above the 'SEPHORA' logo when most companies have a limited time offer put in their ads. I also added in the Word  Popularity to show that it is the Collections name.  I see make-up companies like Mac Cosmetics do this all the time, where they use words or phrases like ' To the beach" as a collection name.  It gives the ad a sense of thrill and makes the 'viewer' excited to see whats in the collection. 

I really liked how this turned out,  and it got my point across!


The next word is fluid!
Cheers!
Veronica K


No comments:

Post a Comment